Flexible TCP/IP Config

Hello redhat-list,

I'm trying to put together a box that has a rather interesting
networking need. Basically, its purpose in life is not to live on a
network at all. However, it must be prepared to do so, so that someone
can come in via TCP/IP to configure it for its real function.

The two cases I care about are:

1) There is an existing network at the site, with a DHCP server doling
out addresses.

2) There is basically nothing at the site, except maybe a Win2K box
with an Ethernet port.

I do not care about cases where there is a more complex network
configuration, because I am most likely going to have to do something
special for them, anyway. I do not care about cases that have nothing
what-so-ever, as I am most likely going to have to haul my notebook PC
along to do the config for them, turning it into one of the two cases
that I *do* care about.

So, basically and ideally, I need to have the machine come up and try
to get a DHCP served address, etc. If it fails to do so, it would be
extra nice if it would grab an un-used address from the 169.254.0.0/16
network. (BTW, this seems to be what Win2K does.)

I've investigated the www.zeroconf.org stuff, and it looks promising.
I had read that RH 9 and Fedora Core 1 incorporated this capability.
So, I searched my offices for the floppy drive and CD-ROM drive to
plug into a Toshiba Portege 3015CT and installed Fedora Core 1. (Due
to ancientness and cruftiness of the CD-ROM drive, I ended up doing a
network install.)

Fedora came up fine and, when hooked to our main network (case #1,
above) received an address from DHCP and inserted itself into DNS
(Hooray!). (BTW, I had to eliminate the "rhgb" boot option to prevent
full system hang when X tries to come up later.)

Unfortunately, it appears that when I tested case #1, the only
discernable affect of the Fedora Zeroconf stuff is to add a
169.254.0.0 route to the routing table. The PCMCIA Ethernet card is
not brought up. It does not get assigned a 169.254.x.x address.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can accomplish this? We have put
the box together with RH 8.0, but could probably be talked into
something else.

Thanks!

Ron.