Re: OT: short but sweet story

At 09:18 AM 2/18/2004, Mailing Lists wrote:
It is a general rule around here that if you have probs with a Windows PC, reboot it first before calling for help. :-)

This is also in my experience tech support's sop. Likewise if an app stops running properly the sop is to uninstall and reinstall.

Finally, the os is known to get fubar'd over time (registry gets polluted for example), at least the 95/98/me line is like this and it's considered advisable to reformat and reinstall the os after a few years; the degradation can be subtle but it's thereand the improvement is generally very noticeable after. And most casual windows users don't know about defragging which over time - well you can imagine. Unices defragging on their own all the time is a tremendous leg up on the windows way of doing things.

And then there's the hidden files. :)

Sorry for the rant folks. I have 5 computers on my lan and they used to all be windows but I only ever found real use for my workstation and my wife's. Now I've got the other 3 running redhat 9, debian 3, and fbsd 4.8 and they're all busy doing stuff, which is like cool.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
This Month's New Quiz --- Past Superbowl Winners