Re: how to decrypt private key for ssl?

A google search usually helps.

>From the first page returned with the terms "ssl httpd remove pass phrase"

(needed the cached version)

[quote]
If you have encrypted your private server key, every time you start apache
with apachectl startssl, you will be prompted for pass phrase - that's why
it cannot be started automaticaly. You can remove pass phrase from your
server key (located in /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/server.key - if you
installed apache in /usr/local/apache) with openssl command line tool
(/usr/local/ssl/bin) running command: "/usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl rsa -in
server.key -out server2.key". Then stop server with "apachectl stop",
rename server2.key to server.key, set permissons "chmod 400 server.key"
and start apache with "apachectl startssl". Now it should run without
promting pass phrase, and should start from rc.d at boot time...
[/quote]

As for security ? well, yes, ultimately you should be there to manually
type the pass phrase each time, however - there tends to be a tradeoff
between security and usability, you will have to decide on what side of
the fence you fall.

If it is not acceptable to have a decrypted server key, then live with
typing the pass phrase to start apache. If you require automatic startup
then look into other methods to protect the key and have it decrypted.

The IIS server will start automagically as it will have a copy of the
decryption key somewhere and so assumes that usability is more important
than security.

--
Steve.