how to decrypt private key for ssl?

hi.

i just got a little https site working on my server in preperation for
the real thing and i discovered that i have to enter the pass phrase
each time httpd is started.

i don't know a lot about ssl but i know that on my windows box i don't
have to enter a pass phrase ever.

so i found out that my options are to leave things as they are and
always have to enter the pass phrase upon start, or decrypt the private
key. i can't find any info on exactly how to decrypting the private key
but i do see that multiple pages recommend against this.

however, i wonder, if someone has access to my decrypted private key
doesn't that mean they also have access to my box? therefore, encrypted
private key or not, i'm wide open?

having to enter the pk each time httpd starts is not a good thing as
this server is meant to be up 24/7 and could possibly be restarted when
no one is available to put in the pass phrase.

i'm basically at a loss as to what i should do regarding this/what
action i should take. please advise.

thanks,
chris.