Re: Help: Unable to setup LAN for Linux and WinXp systems

On Sunday 15 February 2004 11:16 pm, Teja wrote:
> I have Linux on my desktop and WinXP on my Laptop.
>
> But I am unable to see Linux on my Windows explorer, also I am unable to
> telnet or ssh from winxp.
>
> I can ping linux ip successfully but cannot ssh or telnet. I am not sure
> what I need do here in order to setup lan or I may be asking wrong
> question.....can anybody show me the right way.

Make sure you have openssh-server RPM installed, if not install it first from
the Redhat CD, or if you already have / want to setup up2date account, then
you can do:

$> up2date openssh-server

Then run the sshd service

$> service sshd start

make sure it runs the next time your machine reboot:
$> chkconfig sshd on

Do all that as root, of course.
If you have IPTables running, disable all that first to make testing easier.
Now try ssh-ing from another machine. If that works, you can re-enable your
iptable but just make sure you allow Port 22 to get in.

Ditch telnet. You don't need it, it's insecure and it's old. SSH can do
everything telnet can, and more.

For Window SSH client, try PuTTY.

Hope that helps.
RDB