RE: Looking for database design/model software

> > Been trying to install DBDesigner 4 (http://www.fabforce.net/) without
> > success. There seems to be missing libraries :
>
> libborunwind.so.6.0 is needed by DBDesigner4-0.5.4-0
> liblcms.so.1 is needed by DBDesigner4-0.5.4-0
> libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 is needed by DBDesigner4-0.5.4-0
>
> That is whether I use the tar or the rpm. Should you try this and have
> success. pls let me know.
>
> --
> Mario St-Gelais
> www.gestionti.ca

As an update to my original post, I still hadn't found anything that would
do what I wanted it to which was to quickly put an ERD together for a
databse model and as a second priority output SQL (even if it was the wrong
syntax, I could then at least edit the file).

I ended up finding a good basic (and FREE) db modeling software that ran on
my windows XP machine. It's not the best for generating SQL but it's good
for generating diagrams.  For the SQL it looks like it supports some oracle
app.  It doesn't include a lot of datatypes either.  But the SQL as it at
least edit-able.   The diagrams look pretty good and it saves your project
as an xml file instead of some proprietary format.  It also can save the ERD
as a .gif as well!  ANd it's free, so that's a big plus.  For those
interested (again, it runs on windows).

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2210-10225040.html?tag=lst-0-6

Very easy to install, small app .
For those interested in seeing sample image/sample output, here is the
beginning of what I'm working on:

http://www.benandsheri.com/sample.gif
http://www.benandsheri.com/sample.xml.txt

Cheers people.  Thanks to everyone for their responses.
By the way, I did work on dia a little bit and it wasn't what what I was
looking for . Unless I missed something, it seemed more like a basic diagram
tool (and a good one at that) but not a good ERD tool.

Ben Yau