RE: pop won't authenticate my password

Hi Rodolfo,

As I'm doing more research into the whole issue, it seems you may be
right. The main clue was Ben's posts from a while ago where he suggested

>2) run a nameserver (most likely BIND) on your machine

and in another he said to tell WorldSite.ws to make

>1) worldsite.ws be the primary nameserver for mccorduck.ws and
>2) Put these entries in for my domain
>
>mccorduck.ws IN A 24.24.15.155
>
>24.24.15.155 IN PTR mccorduck.ws
>
>www.mccorduck.ws IN CNAME mccorduck.ws
>
>@     IN MX mccorduck.ws

But then when WorldSite.ws refused to do the latter and you suggested I
needed a DNS "zone" (and even made your kind offer to set up a test one
for me, which I really appreciate), it made me look more into BIND,
starting with figuring out what the hell that was. Well, chapter 12 of
the _Red Hat Linux [9] Reference Guide_ answered that question, i.e.
it's the "Berkeley Internet Name Domain" application. (Or is it more
properly called a "daemon"? Ah, the despair of the poor, dazed newbie.)
I also discovered that I apparently don't have BIND on my machine since
I didn't have two basic things that according to the _Reference Guide_
ought to be there, namely the /etc/named.conf file and the /var/named
directory.

I'm not worried about that because I assume I can just download BIND
from the Red Hat FTP site as I've downloaded many other things from
there already (using the fantastic gFTP program/application/daemon), but
I'm confused; if I don't have BIND, how is it that my domain name
mccorduck.ws is clearly bound to my IP address 24.24.15.155 in that any
time anyone points his/her browser to http://McCorduck.ws he or she will
go to my Web site which is hosted on my Linux machine (through httpd)? I
vaguely remember a configuration file for httpd in which I might have
put my domain name, but maybe in the fog of my confusion I'm just
imagining this, too. But if I'm not and I do go ahead and download and
install BIND and configure it in the ways that Ben and the _Reference
Guide_ tell me to, will everything still work, that is, besides finally
being able to receive e-mail sent to an @mccorduck.ws address, will Web
browser inquiries to (www.)McCorduck.ws still go to my Web server on my
Linux box? It would seem so based on Ben's directions above, but I have
a long history of screwing things up on my computers whenever I try
anything new.

Sorry for these questions, some of which might seem pretty insipid.
About the only thing I've ever found to be more confusing and draining
than this is doing anything with Windows networking!

Ed McCorduck
Department of English
State University of New York College at Cortland
ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://mccorduck.cortland.edu
http://McCorduck.ws