Belkin Issue Resolved

I was never able to get the UPS working with my computer.  I called
Belkin's technical support, and asked for assistance.  I pointed out that
the mention of Linux on the product page and the presence of a Linux
version on the software on the CD gave me the impression that Linux was
supported.  The technical support representative I spoke to conceded that
the mention of Linux on the product page was a mistake, since the USB
version of the product isn't actually supported.

I got an RMA, and they're refunding the credit card.  At first they wanted
me to ship the device back on my own dime, but I pointed out that since I
bought it under a mistaken impression given by the, and we arranged to
have UPS pick up the package so that I wouldn't have to pay anything.

I wish I had a spare serial port on the computer.  I would have just
arranged to exchange the serial version for the USB version.

And yes, Belkin was the company that built the routers which randomly sent
users to the Belkin catalog page when sent an HTTP request.  I think that
they soon realized this was a mistake, and they stopped doing it.  It was
enough for me to determine never to buy another Belkin networking product.
 And at this point, if I ever buy anything else from them, I know enough
to call them up and ask them if the information in the catalog is correct.
 ;-)

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the
desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man.
I wouldn't mess with them."
--Michael Moore