Re: Kernel Panic

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 08:57:43 -0500, Hamilton Andrew <Andrew.Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks I'll try stuart's fix first and keep yours in reserve.
Might do it anyway unless there is a shout of "don't do that" from others on the list ;-)
Roger
Roger,

One thing I've noticed, for some reason or other, some kernels don't seem to
recognize the labels on the hard drive. I've had this happen, though I
really didn't think much of it. I just changed the "LABEL=/" to the actual
device that my root partition was on ie /dev/hda1. This has typically
cleared this up for me.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Beever [mailto:roger2@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 6:30 PM
To: redhat list
Subject: RE: Kernel Panic

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 23:12, Thomas Fortner wrote:
--------------
EXT2-fs warning : mounting unchecked fs running e2fsk is recomended
VFS : mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
VFS: Cannot open root device "LABLE=/" or 00:00
Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount rootfs on 00:00
---------------
All lines above that point looked like normal boot things.
Regards Roger

Roger,

Not all things look normal. Where is line 3 getting "LABLE=/" from? Is
there a typo in your /etc/fstab file? I didn't see this in the
grub.conf you attached.
fstab as requested
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults
1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
0 0
/dev/hdb2               swap                    swap    defaults
0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
Roger

-- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/