Re: confused about rpm dependencies

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 19:00, Eric Evans wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm a newcomer to Red Hat and I've just installed Linux v. 9.  I'm trying
> to figure out a confusing problem with rpm dependencies and I'm hoping that
> someone out there can help clarify things for me.
>
> I'm trying to install a package with rpm, and in the installation I get
> error messages about failed dependencies, saying that libtcl8.3.so is
> needed and libtk8.3.so is needed.  But I actually have both of those
> libraries.  They are installed in /lib and also in /usr/local/lib.  So I'm
> not sure why rpm is not seeing that the libraries are there.  They were not
> installed as packages though.  Do they have to be installed as packages in
> order for rpm to recognize them?
yes, is the short answer. rpm reads its own database (in /var/lib/rpm).
Could you not find rpm packages for tcl/tk? They're in the base distro IIRC.
(the 'Sessions' menu in gdm is written in tcl/tk I think).
The Stuff in /usr/local/lib you installed yourself, right? (RH puts nearly
everything in /usr).

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX