confused about rpm dependencies

Hello everyone,

I'm a newcomer to Red Hat and I've just installed Linux v. 9. I'm trying to figure out a confusing problem with rpm dependencies and I'm hoping that someone out there can help clarify things for me.

I'm trying to install a package with rpm, and in the installation I get error messages about failed dependencies, saying that libtcl8.3.so is needed and libtk8.3.so is needed. But I actually have both of those libraries. They are installed in /lib and also in /usr/local/lib. So I'm not sure why rpm is not seeing that the libraries are there. They were not installed as packages though. Do they have to be installed as packages in order for rpm to recognize them?

Thanks very much,
Eric