Re: group mail

On January 29, 2004 06:59 pm, tvp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dear Users
>
> I want to have group mail ID so that I can send mails to some of my USERs.
> How can I achieve this? Please let me know the procedure.
>
> One more problem I am facing these days is that I can ping to a particular
> IP as a normal user. But at the same time as a root, TTL is much
> larger. What is the reason? Can Anybody explain this problem?
>
> Thanks
> User

Hi,
There are several ways to do this. Here are a couple...
1) If you are using sendmail, you can edit /etc/aliases and add something like

usersgroupmail: user1@xxxxxxxxxx,user2@xxxxxxxxxx,user3....
(if the accounts are on the same box as sendmail, you just need the base
userid,not the @)

Then run `newaliases`
Then just send mail to usersgroupmail

If your using postfix, it is /etc/postfix/virtual
and run `postmap reload` or something, it's commented at the top of the file.

2) make a user account like usersgroupmail and create a .forward file with the
user list in it.

As far as the root ping problem, it doesn't make much sense. Both accounts are
using the same utility and the same network configuration. Have you set an
aliase for ping in the users .bashrc? What version of RH? I remember having
to set an aliase to use ping -U to get rid of some timing errors.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce