Re: subnet routing problem

>I have a strange (to me) problem with my home network consisting of a
>Linksys DSL router, a Linux server/router and two Linux end points (one
>laptop and an embedded linux device). My current topology is:
>
>Internet/DSL modem
>|
>Linksys
>(192.168.1.1 w/ static route to 192.168.0.0/24 via 192.168.1.17)
>|
>wifi--(192.168.1.101 DHCP) Redhat 9 Laptop
>|
>(192.168.1.17/24 default gw 192.168.1.1)
>Redhat 7.2 Linux Server/Router (kernel 2.4.21)
>(192.168.0.1/24 )
>|
>Ethernet
>|
>(192.168.0.90/24 gw 192.168.0.1)
>embedded linux (kernel 2.4.19)
>

>The laptop and the embedded device can ping the internet and resolve
>addresses.
>
>ifconfig shows all interfaces are up and with ip-addresses and
>netmasks, etc.
>
>The router/servers ip_tables is flushed with ACCEPT policies.
>
>The router/server  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is 1.
>
>I can not make the server/router route traffic between the laptop and
>the embedded device. I know that it's not the optimal topology but at
>this point it's the possible way. Optimally I want to have the
>server/router on a Linksys ethernet port rather than on the wifi side.
>
>I've been trying all kinds of configurations for the routing tables
>(using route and/or iproute2) but nothing seems to work. Am I missing
>something fundamental here?
>Ronnie Pettersson

What a convoluted mess.  Personally I don't think you are ever going to get
that topology to work.

You don't supply what the internet address is, i.e., static or DHCP.  Is the
Linksys doing the DHCP/Static to the internet and supplying an internal static
(which it what it appears to be doing).  Is the Linksys your firewall as well?

If your Linksys is your firewall to the internet, then your connection is
simple... all devices inside the firewall need to directly connect to the
Linksys:

                                   Internet

                                    Linksys

          |                            |                               |
        wifi                      Linux Server                       Linux

       laptop

If the Linksys doesn't have multiple outputs, then a multiport switch can be
added between the Linksys and your internal machines.  This way all of your
boxes can be in the same IP range and the server doesn't need a second
ethernet card and try to act as a router in a configuration that won't work.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@xxxxxxxxxx                                /~\ The ASCII
                                                         \ / Ribbon Campaign