RHEL WS 3.0 can't mount nfs home directory when user logs in HELP!

I have a RHEL WS 3.0 installation.
I have an NIS domain with many SUN solaris systems.
All of my users home directories are on the Solaris systems which are shared
to the other solaris systems as well as to the RHEL system
under the /home/username mount point.

I have a solaris user that has a username on the solaris nis server.
I created a local account on the RHEL box with the same username
and groupname as what's on the NIS server for this user. I specified
the home directory for this user as /home/username but chose not to have
Red Hat create the home directory since it's NFS mounted form the Solaris
machine to the RHEL machine.

When I try to log into the RHEL machine using KDE with the username and
password I get this error message:

could not lock the file /home/username/.gconf-test-locking-file"
This indicates there may be a problem with your operating system configuration.
If you have an NFS-mouonted home directory, either the clietn or the sever may
be set-up incorrectly. See the rpc.statd and rpc.lockd documentation. A common
cause of this error is that the nfslock service has been disabled. The error
was "Permission Denied" )errno=13)

In doing a ps and grep for rpc on the RHEL machine I have

ps -ef |grep rpc
rpc       4064     1  0 13:21 ?        00:00:00 portmap
rpcuser   4083     1  0 13:21 ?        00:00:00 rpc.statd
root      4144     1  0 13:21 ?        00:00:00 [rpciod]
root      4973     1  0 13:21 ?        00:00:00 rpc.rquotad
root      4991     1  0 13:21 ?        00:00:00 rpc.mountd
root      7206  7160  0 14:25 pts/1    00:00:00 grep rpc

lockd is also running on the RHEL machine

ps -ef |grep lock
root      4145     1  0 13:21 ?        00:00:00 [lockd]

My Solaris machine is sharing the home directory for this user
as rw for netgroup sunw of which the RHEL machine is a part of.
Here is the entry for it on the solaris box.

share  -F nfs  -o rw=ntw:sunw:sgiw:macw -d "home dirs"  /export/home1

Does anybody know what this fix is for this problem? Is it possible to
do what I want to do and have the NFS partition mount on the RHEL box
when the user logs in? I can log into the RHEL machine as root and do an
su - username and it works fine and the users home directory is set but
when I try to log in inititally as that user from KDE it won't mount it
becasue of the above error.

Thank You to everyone.
David Martini
LLNL