Re: [OT] mondoarchive via cron - how do you know if it completedcorrectly?

From: "Jody Cleveland" <Cleveland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Hi Ben,
>
> > > Just append "&& echo SUCCESS", or something to that effect
> > to the end of
> > > that line.  It only echoes upon success of the previous command.
> > >

> > Thanks, Jason!  I hadn't known about the && or || in shell
> > scripting, but
> > your comment helped me to find them in the bash man page.
> > Very cool stuff!
> > I've got my script working well and it's now sending me an
> > email with the
> > status report for the nightly backup.
>
> What did you end up putting at the end? I tried && echo SUCCESS and it
> gave me an error. I'm looking to do the same you are, with the results
> emailed to me.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

Well, I did it a bit differently.  I'm sure that one of the shell guru's
could have done this better, but this has been tested and seems to work for
us:
(Note: because of word-wrap, I put a copy of the script at:
http://www.benjamin.weiss.name/backup.txt .)
-----------------------------
#!/bin/bash

# bash shell script to do a full backup to tape
# 21 January 2004 - Benjamin J. Weiss
#
# This script does a full backup of non-temporary filesystems,
# then rewinds the tape.
#
# Options below:
#       -O              : Do a backup, not a verify.
#        F              : Do not ask to make a boot floppy
#        t              : Backup to tape
#        d /dev/st0     : Use the tape device and rewind after backup (nst0
would not rewind)
#       -l GRUB         : The bootloader that we're using
#       -f /dev/sda     : The drive that the boot loader is on
#       -E "path"       : Directories to exclude from the backp.
#
# modified path so that mondoarchive can find mindi, etc
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
#
# modify EMAIL to the reporting address
EMAIL=person@xxxxxxxxxxx
#
RESULT=failure
#
DATE=`date`
#
#
/usr/local/bin/mondoarchive -OFtd /dev/st0  -l GRUB -f /dev/sda -E "/tmp
/dev /mnt /proc" && RESULT=success
#
TEXT="orion backup for $DATE status: $RESULT"
#
echo $TEXT > /tmp/orion-backup
#
mutt -s "$TEXT" $EMAIL < /tmp/orion-backup
#
rm -f /tmp/orion-backup
#
# set path back to what cron expects