RE: Turning authentication logging on

no, it cannot.

It may also pay to ensure that your e-mail is sent out as plain text, not
html as there are many mail programs in use that dont like html style
e-mail.

you could write a script that ran from cron that pulled out log entries
(such as the output in last) and then wrote this out to a database on a
remote machine.

--
Steve.