Re: [OT] mondoarchive via cron - how do you know if it completedcorrectly?

From: "Jason Dixon" <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 08:50, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
>
> > I've been using mondoarchive for awhile now for interactive backup to
CD's.
> > We put in a tape drive and I set it up to backup to tape every night by
> > writing a very simple script and putting it in /etc/cron.daily (the
script
> > is shown below).  The problem is that I get a 6k log file each morning
> > (apparently mondo over-writes the /var/log/mondo-archive.log file each
time
> > it runs) and I can't see a line that will definitely state whether the
> > backup has worked or failed.
>
> > /usr/local/bin/mondoarchive -OFtd /dev/st0  -l GRUB -f /dev/sda -E "/tmp
> > /dev /mnt /proc"
>
> Just append "&& echo SUCCESS", or something to that effect to the end of
> that line.  It only echoes upon success of the previous command.

Thanks, Jason!  I hadn't known about the && or || in shell scripting, but
your comment helped me to find them in the bash man page.  Very cool stuff!
I've got my script working well and it's now sending me an email with the
status report for the nightly backup.

I guess I should allocate a day or so to fully read through that bash man
page, but there sure is a lot of it to read. :)

Ben