Re: gnome-terminal annoyance

On January 22, 2004 08:47 am, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I got hacked the other day.  Fortunately for me I backed up my user
> accounts the day before.  I reinstalled yesterday, recreated my user
> accounts and extracted the backups into the appropriate home
> directories.  My personal account is under username michael with the
> home directory of /bin/bash.  The first time I logged into the michael
> account after restoring the settings I opened gnome-terminal and the
> prompt said [michael@baby michael] , which is what it's supposed to
> say.  Every other time I've logged in since then the prompt says
> bash-2.05b$ .  I don't like this  I want my old prompt back.  The
> directories and files aren't even color coded anymore.  My user settings
> haven't changed since I extracted the backups.  How can I get my old
> prompt and color codings back?
>
> -Michael Sullivan

Hi,
It appears your environment has changed and possibly your shell as well.
Considering you're machine was compromised, unless you know exactly what
happened, I would not just restore user homes. The only reason your prompt
would change after a backup is if you had customized ~/.bash_profile then not
backedup/restored it.

You said your home dir is /bin/bash, I presume you mean your shell.

It looks like a stock bash prompt your at.
To reset the prompt the way you want it, look at "PROMPTING" in 'man bash'
Custom global prompt settings are usually put in one of the a scripts in
/etc/profile.d/
I think what your after would look something like:

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce