Re: Lock up problems under Kernel 2.4.20-28.7

Thanks for the reply Otto. I actually did try this and nothing happened.

Otto Haliburton wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of James Moberg
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 10:02 AM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Lock up problems under Kernel 2.4.20-28.7

Hi.  I am not new to UNIX but am new to doing any kind of system
administration on it.  Yesterday I decided to use the RH-Linux automatic
update feature on the gnome desktop.  The first thing I did was to
update to version 2.4.20-28.7 of the kernel.  I was using version
2.4.18-3 of the kernel before.  The download and update process worked
fine.  After the install of the kernel was finished I rebooted the
machine and tested all of the applications that I use to see that
everything worked fine.  They did.

So seeing as how the first update went so well I decided to update the
rest of the outdated items listed by the RH-Linux automatic update
feature.  At about 25% or 30% through the download process my screen
quickly faded to black.  At first I thought my monitor died.  After
switching another one for it I realized this was not the case.  Then I
thought maybe the video card died.  That was not the case either.  So I
rebooted the machine and made sure everything worked fine w/Linux.  It
seemed stable.  So I tried to download the updates again.

Luckily it started were it was when the machine went into limbo.  About
the same amount of time passed and the screen turned black again.  I
went through this for a total of three times before all of the updates
were downloaded and finally installed.  Now any time I start up Linux
with the new kernel the machine locks up.  This happens in either KDE or
gnome.

Has anyone experienced this?  Do I maybe need to do some Kernel tuning
and if so what would you recommend.  I don't know how to do this but
like I said before I have been using UNIX for 8 years now and am not too
affraid to poke around.

I am running RH-Linux 7.3 on an AMD AthlonXP processor running at 1.67
ghz.  I have 512 MB of ram and a 40 gig hard drive.  Also, I do have the
hard drive partitioned off so that I can also run Windows XP (Sorry!
It's just a necessary evil).  I used Partition Magic 7.0 to do the
partitioning.  Up until this update I had no problems with Linux.  If I
use the previous version of the Kernel things seem to be like before
which is problem free.

Any help would br greatly appreciated because the system locks up after
10-15 miinutes consistently.

I don't know what eventually happened, but it sounds like your machine was
going into screen saver mode and all you needed to do was move the cursor, I
might be wrong though.