/etc/security/limits.conf question

I need to know how to increase the number of file descriptors per process
under current Red Hat/Fedora Linux versions.

For Red Hat Linux up to and including version 7.3 one could change
limits.conf and pam_limits.so would increase the number of file descriptors
per process to what was specified if you connected via telnet or ssh.

For Red Hat Linux versions 8 and 9 one could change limits.conf and
pam_limits.so would increase the number of file descriptors per process to
what was specified if you connected via telnet but would ignore a change
over 1024 descriptors if you connected via ssh.

For Fedora Core release 1 one could change limits.conf and pam_limits.so
would increase the number of file descriptors per process to what was
specified if you connected via telnet but if you try to increase the value
to over 1024 when connecting via ssh the connection gets closed after the
password is accepted.

If someone has an idea of how to specify more than 1024 file descriptors per
process I would appreciate know how you do it.

Thanks,
--
Jim Dickenson