Gnome Panel Missing RH 7.0

I installed RH 7.0 (publisher's edition, came with Red Hat 7 for Dummies) on a spare Pentium 1 233 with 128mb of RAM. The install
went flawlessly (I thought) but when I launch Gnome with the startx command, the panel isn't there. The usual icons are there and
work OK. I found an email in the list archives that suggested right clicking to open an xterm window and typing "panel" but
this just causes a core dump. Typing Alt-F1 does not bring up the main menu either so something is seriously missing . The only
way to back out is to bring up the window and shutdown. I had planned to install RH 9.0 but the installation halts after a while and
gives an error message indicating that the computer isn't sufficient for 9.0, maybe not enough RAM, so upgrading doesn't seem to
be an option at present.
thanks,
Dave