RE: pop won't authenticate my password

Thanks so much, Stuart. I changed my Server Name under Server Settings
to "localhost", and no longer did I get the dreaded "The PASS command
did not succeed. Mail server pop responded: Authentication failed." I
also tested it under Telnet following the command lines you gave me and
it accepted my user name and password with no problems. Mozilla was now
happy to check my incoming mail and tell me "There are no new messages
on the server." The trouble is, it kept saying that after I kept sending
test messages to my e-mail address on this machine from my other
Internet addresses, even though I could still send out mail from this
machine and it would be received (under my e-mail address
"ed@xxxxxxxxxxxx" from the SMTP server on my machine). I then did Telnet
again, and it confirmed I had "0" messages.

"Screw Mozilla" was my next flash of inspiration, and I set up an
account under K Mail with the same settings, including under "Host:" for
"POP Account" being "localhost". Once again I was able to send test mail
out and it would show as being received from "ed@xxxxxxxxxxxx" but I
waited all day for the messages I sent from my other addresses to be
retrieved by K Mail, but this mail app, too, kept telling me I had no
mail. I tested Telnet finally again this morning, and here specifically
is what I got:

[ed@localhost ed]$ telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK POP3 localhost.localdomain v2001.78rh server ready
user ed
+OK User name accepted, password please
pass <I put in my regular login password for my user name "ed">
+OK Mailbox open, 0 messages

Furthermore, starting yesterday I kept getting the following error
messages from my other mail servers:

--From the server that handles my "ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" account:

"Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

       ed@xxxxxxxxxxxx"

--From the server that handles my "Ed.McCorduck@xxxxxxxxxxxx" account:

"Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

       ed@xxxxxxxxxxxx"

--From AOL, on which I have an "EdTracey@xxxxxxx" address:

"The original message was received at Mon, 19 Jan 2004 06:45:41 -0500
(EST)
from imo-d04.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.36]

*** ATTENTION ***

Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a problem with
its
delivery.  The address which was undeliverable is listed in the section
labeled: "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors
-----".

The reason your mail is being returned to you is listed in the section
labeled: "----- Transcript of Session Follows -----".

The line beginning with "<<<" describes the specific reason your e-mail
could
not be delivered.  The next line contains a second error message which
is a
general translation for other e-mail servers.

Please direct further questions regarding this message to the e-mail
administrator or Postmaster at that destination.

--AOL Postmaster

<ed@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<ed@xxxxxxxxxxxx>... Deferred: Name server: mccorduck.ws.: host name
lookup failure
Message could not be delivered for 4 hours
Message will be deleted from queue

Final-Recipient: RFC822; ed@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mccorduck.ws
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:50:47 -0500 (EST)