RE: RH ES 3.0 subscription question

> > question, but with the new annual subscriptions. Can you
> > buy a version of RH
> > ES and pay RH for the year and then not pay them after that?
>
> Yes you can.  In fact, I've bought Red Hat Professional Workstation -

I believe this is wrong, see below.

> You don't really buy a license for ES - you buy a support contract.

I went through this with RedHat and never got a great answer, but I'll
summarize.  RedHat gets around the GPL because the GPL covers copying,
editing, and distributing software - but not running software.  When
you purchase WS/ES/AS there is a RedHat end user license in addition
to the GPL that states if you purchased it from RH than in order to run
it you must subscribe to the RedHat Network.  Unfortunately, I could not
find a way to simply buy *just* the RHN, you have to buy the support that
comes with it.

The EULA specifically states that for each machine you run WS/ES/AS on you
must have a subscription for it - and for the duration that you run WS/ES/AS
on it - it does not end after just one year.

I'm no lawyer, but if I read this all correctly then I have every right to
give a copy of WS/ES/AS to anyone I please, and because that person did not
get it from RedHat, they are under no obligation to pay RedHat for anything.
The paying customer gets the wrong end of the stick to some extent.

-matt

Matthew Hanley
mhanley@xxxxxxxxx