RE: pop won't authenticate my password

Thank you for the extended lesson.

> okay, let's try a simple recipe:
>
> as ED:
> su -
> chkconfig ipop3 on
> service xinetd restart
> chkconfig --list ipop3
> telnet localhost 110 (as before for testing the pop3 service)
> [if you are rejected, then you may be firewalling yourself
> out: have a look at /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny]
> then try from another host telnet <POP3 SERVERS IP ADDRESS>
> 110 do you still get through?
>
> are you running mozilla mail on the same machine as the POP server?
>

> and as I write this, I see that you've already been
> answered... Oh well, I'll send it anyway.
>
> HTH
>
> Stuart
> --
> Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX

First, yes, Mozilla Mail and the POP server I'm trying to use are on the
same machine, the one running RH9. And I did as you instructed, and here
is the log to prove it:

[ed@localhost ed]$ su -
Password:
[root@localhost root]#
chkconfig ipop3 on
[root@localhost root]# service xinetd restart
Stopping xinetd:                                           [  OK  ]
Starting xinetd:                                           [  OK  ]
[root@localhost root]# chkconfig --list ipop3
ipop3           on
[root@localhost root]# telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK POP3 localhost.localdomain v2001.78rh server ready

Localhost.localdomain is still my machine's generic name; I haven't
gotten up to giving it its own unique name yet. So to me, this was
indicative of success (i.e. that there was no firewall; see my reply to
Michael Fratoni's last message to me), so I went back into Mozilla Mail
again, tried to retrieve my mail again, but once again  after getting
"Enter your password for ed@pop" and entering my normal password, I got
only "The PASS command did not succeed. Mail server pop responded:
Authentication failed." But I had kept my Terminal window open and when
I was through with my latest disappointment with Mozilla, I noticed two
more lines had been added to the above log:

-ERR Autologout; idle for too long
Connection closed by foreign host.
[root@localhost root]#

Is this significant? And another dumb newbie question, I'm sorry: why do
I always seem to need to put just "pop" in the Server name box under
"Server Settings" for my mail account in Mozilla Mail? We've been
talking about ipop3 and the like here, but whenever I put in anything
other than pop in this box I don't even get the above prompt for a
password, I get just "Failed to connect to server [whatever]." The first
line under Mozilla's "Server Settings" is already filled in as "Server
Type: POP Mail Server; maybe this explains it, I don't know. If you all
aren't getting too tired of me, I'd still appreciate help on this.

Ed McCorduck
Department of English
State University of New York College at Cortland
ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://mccorduck.cortland.edu
http://McCorduck.ws