Re: pop won't authenticate my password

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 15:13, Stuart Sears wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2004 14:36, Ed McCorduck wrote:
> > Thanks again, Roger. From your suggestion, I took the initiative and did
> > a modification of what Jim and Stuart suggested, i.e. I made sure I was
> > logged in as "su" and edited (with pico) the ipop3 of /etc/xinetd.d. In
> > fact disable there was set to "yes" so I changed it to "no" then saved
> > the file. I then issued "service xinetd restart" but I got back "bash:
> > service: command not found". A syntax problem here?
> >
> right, let's work on a bit of terminology here... <grin>
>
> su is the command you use to switch users. without a username supplied it will
> assume you want to be root (ie the superuser, administrator, whatever you
> wish to call them)
> if you use just su, it will prompt you for root's password, but not actually
> give you a full login environment as root - ie you will stay in the same
> directory you were in anyway, and will have a PATH variable that belongs to
> the user you started as (ed, in this case) - ed does not by default have
> access to any of the sytem administration commands that reside in /sbin  or
> /usr/sbin.
>
> If you use 'su -'  [note the dash/minus, it's important] you will effectively
> re-login as root, which will dump you in /root (root's home directory) and
> set up your current PATH as root's path - ie including /sbin
>
> so quoting your previous post:
>  [ed@localhost ed]$ echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/ed/bin
>
> using just 'su'
> [root@localhost ed]# echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/ed/bin
>
> with 'su -' you should have seen something like this:
> [root@localhost root]# echo $PATH
> /usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/
> local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin
>
> although you may not have the kerberos bits, you can see all the 'sbin'
> directories.
>
> to do system adminitration tasks you need to be root:
> ed will only have write access (default settings) to
> /home/ed
> /tmp
> /var/tmp
>
> so to edit anything in /etc, you need to have root access.
>
> okay, let's try a simple recipe:
>
> as ED:
> su -
> chkconfig ipop3 on
> service xinetd restart
> chkconfig --list ipop3
> telnet localhost 110 (as before for testing the pop3 service)
> [if you are rejected, then you may be firewalling yourself out:
> have a look at /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny]
> then try from another host
> telnet <POP3 SERVERS IP ADDRESS> 110
> do you still get through?
>
> are you running mozilla mail on the same machine as the POP server?
>

> and as I write this, I see that you've already been answered...
> Oh well, I'll send it anyway.
>
> HTH

> [...]
Well I'm learning so that's good.
Sorry for the error earlier.
Thanks the the su / su - that was new to me.
my server has IMAP, IMAPs, IPOP3 and POP3S which I missed when I had a
look yesterday and was thinking the IMAPS did the POP3S as well.
But I do use the ssl connections form work So I do need both versions.
Once I'm happy with the IMAP I might turn the pops off.

We can't be far away on this one. Unfortunately I'm at the end of my
knowledge on this issue so I guess I can only learn some more.

I presume that anything under X (KDE) that requires the root password is
equivalent to su rather than su - ?
Regards Roger