RE: Help Me with shell script please

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 21:01, Ben Yau wrote:

> Because to my untrained eye (untrained in mail::internet) your perl script
> did not represent any "refined control" and I was wondering where that was
> coming from.  I'll explain that in more detail in the next section because
> that's where it's more relevant

That one-liner is a simple solution to your original question.  It
doesn't provide any fine-grained control, as your OP didn't suggest you
needed it.  However, I did mention Mail::Internet in the off-chance that
you might need something like that later on.  It's up to you to
investigate the module's features if you think you'll find it useful.

> 1) your example above looks like a regular perl script, which to me doesn't
> have much of an advantage over running it from the command line, and to my
> untrained eye  definitely wouldn't give you refined control over headers.
> In fact, it is less desirable because you're just addig a wrapper to 'mail'.
> Why not just run 'mail' directly from bash instead of running it from perl
> which will run it from bash?

Fine.

$ for i in `cat address.txt`; do echo "message goes here" | mail -s
"subject goes here" $i; done

Feel better now?

> 2) since I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and since I'm not
> familiar with Mail::Internet, I was assuming I was missing something, which
> is why I was asking for clarification and which is also why I said in the
> email you responded to:

No, you weren't missing anything.  I was just tossing out a tidbit for
future investigation, if you're so inclined.  This is all getting a
little ridiculous.  If you want to use the Perl one-liner, feel free.
If not, use your own code or the shell example I gave above.  I'm sure
you feel I've slighted you somehow even though I've taken out of my own
time to give you an example, while you've taken time to nitpick
everything in my posts.

Nevertheless, I'm going to lay this out for you, just so you can't say I
never explained Mail::Internet.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use Mail::Internet;

my $head = Mail::Header->new(Modify => 1);
$head->add(From => 'joe@localhost');
$head->add(To => 'jane@somewhere');
$head->add(Subject => 'Just a test mail');
$head->add(Sender => 'joe@localhost');

my $body .= "Message goes here.";
my $mail = Mail::Internet->new(Header => $head,
				Body => [$body],
				Modify => 1,
);
my $success = $mail->smtpsend(Host => 'smtp.localhost.com', Hello => 'localhost.com');

# EOF

Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting
http://www.dixongroup.net