Re: Broken Wireless in RH9

On January 15, 2004 09:18 am, Kent Borg wrote:
> So I tried to get a different wireless card to work, played with
> compiling new version of pcmcia code--and now I have broken my old
> wireless card.  It is an old Lucent Orinoco Silver.
>
> When I go into the network configuration GUI the "Select Wireless
> Device" window in the wizard offers only "Other Wireless Card".  I
> thought it usually gave a list, or saw the current card.  I can't
> remember.
>
> If I continue, and later in the GUI choose any of the Lucent Orinoco
> choices, it still doesn't work.  In each case it seems to be looking
> for wavelan2_cs.o, a file I think only came into being because of my
> trying to compile the pcmcia code from scratch.  I can copy my broken
> version in (compiler mis-match complaint), but I can't figure out how
> to get it to work as Redhat intended.
>
> Suggestions?
>

> Thanks,
>
> -kb, the Kent vanished from the internet for a time because his DSL
> modem/router needed power cycling, just a couple days after his
> leaving on a three-week vacation.

Hi,
I can't help you much with the actual device as I have never worked with
wireless devices, however here are a few things to try:

I'll presume this is a module loading porblem.

-what does chkconfig -a show?

-have you checked /var/messages for any error messages?

-run lsmod to see if any wireless related mods are installed. If there are any
like the one you know fails, remove them with:
   rmmod <modules_name>

-do you know the module name? you could try loading it with:
   modprobe <module_name>

-look in your /etc/modules.conf~ file, it is the previous version of
/etc/modules.conf and may show what options the module used to get. (and the
module name as well.)

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce