Re: (no subject)

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Dana Holland wrote:

>My /var directory has filled up - in checking for things to remove, I
>found this file:
>
>-rw-------    1 root     root     164288192 Sep 13 11:43 pacct.rpmsave
>
>I can't seem to find anything about the file in my google searches.
>What is it and why is it so big?  And can I reclaim some of the space
>that it's taking up?

That;s the process accounting logfile.  If you don't know what it
is, you definitely don't need it, nor the psacct package.  Simple
solution is to just uninstall it and delete the log file.

rpm -e psacct ; rm /var/{log,account}/pacct*

I believe your system might have been upgraded from RHL 7.x to a
newer release, as the file moved from /var/log to it's FHS
location, and that looks like an upgrade dropping.  ;o)