Re: Colored auras around text when using DVI connector

Mike A. Harris <mharris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You're using subpixel antialiasing, and probably have the
> subpixel orientation incorrectly configured.

Yes, this would seem to explain everything.  For instance, if I run a
Tk application, the problem is not apparent within the application,
presumably because Tk doesn't know how to do any font antialiasing,
much less subpixel antialiasing.

What I don't understand is why everything works fine for a while (a day
or two) after a system reboot, and then invariably, the subpixel font
antialiasing starts misbehaving again.

> Run the font properties dialog and try the various different options.

Okay, I can fix things by running gnome-font-properites as root. (It has
to be as root or gnome-font-properites gladly accepts and remembers
options, but doesn't actually have any sort of effect).  In
gnome-font-properites I have to set the subpixel order to "VRGB" (which
is rather strange since the article you pointed me at says that there
are no LCD displays with vertical sub-pixels, but perhaps times have
changed) and the hinting to "Full".

There's one last problem remaining.  The effect of this is only
temporary.  If I log out and log back in, I have to re-run
gnome-font-properites again.  Is there a way of making the fix
permanent?