Re: Why does the kernel build fail out of the box?

On January 9, 2004 07:35 am, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 06:24:28 -0800
>
> Pete Nesbitt <pete@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On my firast run I did not do 'make mrptoper' but on the the seconf
> > xconfig (which failed) and on the 'make menuconfig' I used it.
> > I did the same on the 2nd xconfig and menu config:
> >
> > make clean
> > make mrproper
> > make clean
> > make dep
> > make <x,menu>config
> > make modules
> > make modules_install
>
> Hey Pete,
>
> This should work for 2.4 era kernels:
>
> make mrproper		# Super clean, erase .config too
> make menuconfig		# Choose options, create new .config
> make dep				# Calculate what has to be compiled
> make 				# Compile kernel (or "make bzImage")
> make modules		# Compile loadable modules
> make modules_install	# Install the modules in /lib/modules
> make install			# Install the kernel in /boot
>
> HTH,
> Sean

Hi Sean,
It seems to be fine if i use menuconfig and not xconfig. However, the last
entry on your list, "make install" sounds great. I always do all that
manually, it is a pain and if I forget things like mkinitrd, things can get
ugly (always keeo a backup kernel availble!)

Thanks for the info.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce