Re: Samba File Sharing permissions problem

Donald Tyler wrote:

Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked recently, but I dont have access to my archives at the moment.
I just set up a Samba file share of the \var\www directory and I am not able to create or edit its contents from a windows machine even though I set the permissions to Read/Write.
I can however create and edit files in my home directory from the windows machine.
I would have thought that the file system permissions were not relevant when using the Samba file sharing, or else what would be the point of the Read/Write check box when settings up a file share?
Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Thanks
Donald Tyler

If u want to set up a share for the DIR directory to be accessed by user USER you follow these steps:
1. must add system user USER
2. must add samba user USER
so as a total until here you should see that the system user and the samba user are linked and permissions count
3. must change ownership for the DIR so to include the user USER; in your case given the directory www you should be very carefull with the ownerships. I do not encourage adding the user to the root group. I think much better should be this:
chown user:root www
chmod u+rwx www
4. must change permissions of the DIR directory to be accessible in the intended way by the user USER:
in your case should be chmod u+rwx DIR
5. must modify smb.conf so to mirror the changes wanted and restart samba . Everything should work fine

keep this in mind: don't give to much access when not needed