Re: limit maxproc

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 15:43:22 -0600
"Rigler, Steve" <SRigler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It looks like there is a relationship between hardware and the
> nproc/maxproc value.
>
> Looking on two dual-cpu machines I found that they were both 7168.
> The 4 single cpu machines I've looked at are all different: 20479,
> 2559, 4087, and 1023.
>
> I'm not sure why the one single cpu machine would have such a high
> number...
>
> Maybe this answers the OP's question...it varies from machine to
> machine.

Once you understand how to control these number yourself the question
doesn't seem so important.   But for pure curiosity it's based on the
amount of  memory in the system divided by the default amount of memory
consumed per thread.   A bare minimum of 20 is set regardless of the above
calculation.    Again, none of this matters if you set values appropriate
to your environment in the limits.conf.

Cheers,
Sean