RE: managing passwords

Ben Yau <mailto:byau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 5:02 PM said:

> My preferred way for having to keep track of so many passwords (which
> i realize I do have to do ..for ebay, paypal, yahoo mail, network
> solutions, etc.) is I keep them in my palm pilot.  You could also do
> excel spreadsheet or just straight text file.  The key is to not
> write the actual password down but a clear (to you ) password hint.

not a bad idea (regarding last sentence) and probably one i should try
to adopt.

> For example, one of my old passwords is
>
> atwcrbtr
>
> (nice password huh?  uncrackable?)

uncrackable? i wouldn't think so. have you ever tried to crack it
yourself? it's only 8 characters and all lowercase.

funny story, i had someone crack the admin password on my windows box at
home* and install some kind of irc bot**. the password was something
like the following:

here is a really long sentence that i will use as my password

when looking through the event viewer (security log) there were probably
30-40 unsuccessful attempts at the password before they got it right. of
course that could be because i'm using dictionary words so i really
don't know how atwcrbtr would fair in a brute force attack.

chris.

* this install of windows is rarely used. over the past weekend i wasn't
at home, had my regular install booted up and i guess the power went
out. when the computer started back up it loaded the first install in
the list (the rarely used one) and wasn't fully patched so i guess
someone was scanning for some vulnerability and found my pc within a few
hours.

** i found that mirc had been installed and i saw frequently the word
3moz or 3m0z. i've since cleaned it (a reinstall being imminent).