Re: RH9 running slow on laptop

On January 2, 2004 12:03 am, WILLIAM THOMAS wrote:
> Hello ,
>      I installed RH9 on my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop (it has a P4-1.7Ghz
> processor;512mb of ram;64mb Nvidia video card) the installation went well
> and everything seams to be working fine.
> However while using either KDE or Gnome (it never happens in command line)
> there is a 12 second delay (at least) from the time I click something
> (anything) to the time it gets executed.
> My question is "What can I do to eliminate or at least minimize this
> annoying delay?"
>

>         Sincerely,
>
>                WNThomas

Hi William,
You should start by running top in a teminal window and see what the top
processes are.

Being a laptop and presuming it is often powered off, I suspect it may be a
case of anacron running missed cron.daily entries. An easy test would be to
leave the laptop running (you can log out but leave Red  Hat running), for 24
hours or longer. If it is a matter of anacron executing things like prelink
or slocate (or would it show as updatedb) then leaving it on so they can run
in the middle of the night, as scheduled, should clear things up.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce