Re: Boot problems with LILO

Booting XP with LILO is not always convenient.
There is another method, booting with loadlin. ( That is the current method
I am now using..... )
1. Install  dual boot with Windows 98/95 with XP. It is easy if you
installed XP on FAT-32/16 partition. But if you haved
    installed XP on NTFS, you cannot use this method. ( But you can
reinstall XP on FAT-32 partition if it is already on             NTFS)
    To install dual boot 98 with XP,
            a). Boot with 98/95 boot disk.
            b). sys c:
            c) Edit boot.ini and add entry for Windows 98. Here is a sample.
                    ***********************
                    [boot loader]
                        timeout=30
                        default=C:\
                    [operating systems]
                        C:\="Microsoft Windows"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP"
                    ***********************
            Now dual boot setup is finished.
2. Now, prepare to boot linux with loadlin.
        a). md c:\linux
        b). copy CD:\dosutils>loadlin.exe c:\linux ( loadlin.exe is loacated
on RH-9 CD-1 )
        c). copy vmlinuz c:\linux  (vmlinuz MUST BE /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8
or /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0 according to your lilo.conf )
                 ( Kernel must be RH-9 kernel, you can copy from linux /boot
directory )
        d). create a batch file to load Linux. Here is a smple batch file

                --------Contents of c:\linux\rh9.bat ---------------
                                loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda_X ( replace
with correct partition )
                --------End of c:\linux\rh9.bat ---------------

3. Confirure CMOS to boot from XP installed Hard Disk.
4.  Reboot.
5.  After reboot, Windows XP boot loader will display such menu.

            Windows 98
            Microsoft Windows XP

                        If you want to boot to XP, just choose "Microsoft
Windows XP"
                        If you want to boot to linux,
                                1. Choose Windows 98
                                2.
                                    a). cd c:\linux
                                    b). rh9.bat
                                 Note:- If you want to automate, just call
rh9.bat from AUTOEXEC.BAT.
        Pls let me know, it is OK or NOT.

CHEER !!!!

Win Toe