RE: Sendmail configuration problem? Some servers refusing to receive mail from me...

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 21:31, Donald Tyler wrote:
> I doubt that is the cause. The users that are complaining of the
> problems had previously been using another mail server without any
> issue. They simply switched over to my new mail server and started using
> it.
>
> They have most of their addresses in their outlook address book, so if
> it worked before then there shouldn't really be a reason that it won't
> work now.

True, unless your MTA configuration is modifying the from address of the
sender.

> And yes, it does say "invalid address", but that isn't really very
> informative. There are at least 4 addresses used in the mail
> transaction:
>
> 	Sending MTA HostName
> 	Receiving MTA HostName
> 	Sender Email address
> 	Recipient Email address
>
> I am just trying to decipher exactly what the recipient MTA is telling
> me. But I doubt I will know for sure until I call them directly on
> Monday.

DSN's can be confusing to understand. So I don't really know if the
5.5.4 mentioned in your original post is the proper diagnostic code to
key off of, but...

[scowles@enterprise dev]$ cd /etc/mail
[scowles@enterprise mail]$ grep 5.5.4 sendmail.cf
R<? $+> <$+>            $#error $@ 5.5.4 $: "553 Real domain name
required for sender address"
R<? $+> $*              $#error $@ 5.5.4 $: "553 Domain name required
for sender address " $&f

BTW: What does /var/log/maillog show when these users send an e-mail?

If all else fails, send me an e-mail off the list and I can reply to you
with the the full headers and maillog entries. Be aware, my MTA is also
configured to reject if the sender address is invalid or your MTA
announces itself with a bogus HELO. Microsoft MTA's are notorious for
the latter.

Steve Cowles