Re: Possibly Hacked

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 02:40:57PM -0800, Simran Hansrai wrote:
> Jason Dixon wrote:
> >Actually, it sounds to me like one or more of your partitions are full.
> >
> I was able to ftp to this box without any issues, so that just might be
> true.  Not sure why the root partition would fill up since there was a
> lot of space when I left and this box only runs a web server and a dns
> server whose files don't grow that much.  Could possibly be the logs but
> not sure.  What would be the best way to free up some space.  Do I still
> need to boot into single user mode using the cdrom or is there another
> way I can fix this?  Any ideas?

The classic way to run out of disk space accidentally is to have your
backups go to an NFS-mounted partition.  If, for some reason, the
NFS partition gets dismounted, you'll still write your backups to (say)
/mnt/backups, but now it's the root partition instead.

If that matches your situation, using FTP you could remove one file you
don't need from the backup partition and then see if you can log in
again.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx