Re: [RH List] Re: [SOLVED] Updated web page, but seeing older one?

>On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 23:50, Vidiot wrote:
>
>> Excuse me.  Are you trying to tell me that if I am sitting on my machine,
>> and enter vidiot.com in the URL address line that Linux will send packets
>> out to the ISP's router and that router will send them back to me?
>
>Unless you're using split-horizon DNS, that's exactly what happens.

Excuse me, but DNS is just domain name to IP address lookup conversion.
Split-horizon DNS is a cool way to control what gets serviced and what doesn't.

	http://hejazi.org/modules.php?name=Solaris&file=dns
	http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-split-horizon.html
	http://www.fefe.de/djbdns/

The above three example of split-horizon DNS discussion have nothing to do with
packet routing, but how domain name requests for certain machines are handled.

>We could care less about your box, we're not talking about your box.

I'm using my box as example of the web server being the exact same box the
request is coming from, vs the example where the box is off site.

>And by the sound of things, yes, you're using a sort of split-horizon
>DNS by ignoring the external resolution of your domain via local host
>tables (or manually entering the local address).  This is an isolated
>situation that doesn't affect ANYBODY outside your internet connection.

My domain name server is off box, many miles from here, handled via a
completely different ISP.  vidiot.com is not in my hosts file, only
mrvideo.vidiot.com is.

>I sincerely suggest you read some of the O'Reilly editions, such as
>"TCP/IP Network Administration" and "DNS and Bind".  At this point, I'm
>not trying to patronize you, but you're really talking out of your ass.
>Perhaps you could try to learn from some of these explanations, rather
>than trying to get the last word in.

Again what does looking up and converting a domain name to an actual IP
address have to do with HTTP packet routing?

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@xxxxxxxxxx                                /~\ The ASCII
                                                         \ / Ribbon Campaign