Re: [RH List] Re: [SOLVED] Updated web page, but seeing older one?

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 23:50, Vidiot wrote:

> Excuse me.  Are you trying to tell me that if I am sitting on my machine,
> and enter vidiot.com in the URL address line that Linux will send packets
> out to the ISP's router and that router will send them back to me?

Unless you're using split-horizon DNS, that's exactly what happens.

> >Wrong.  A transparent proxy will intercept requests and serve the cached
> >objects up.  You'll never know they did it (at first glance).  Please
> >don't argue what you don't understand.
>
> I'll concede this point, but will need proof that HTTP requests to my box,
> from my box, ever leaves my box.

We could care less about your box, we're not talking about your box.
It's entirely possible to override much of the natural behavior of the
Internet through methods like:

- split-horizon DNS
- local host tables
- connection "reflections" off your firewall
- intelligent load-balancing
- etc.

And by the sound of things, yes, you're using a sort of split-horizon
DNS by ignoring the external resolution of your domain via local host
tables (or manually entering the local address).  This is an isolated
situation that doesn't affect ANYBODY outside your internet connection.

I sincerely suggest you read some of the O'Reilly editions, such as
"TCP/IP Network Administration" and "DNS and Bind".  At this point, I'm
not trying to patronize you, but you're really talking out of your ass.
Perhaps you could try to learn from some of these explanations, rather
than trying to get the last word in.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting