Re: Forcing sendmail to send using a single ip address?

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 11:52:12AM -0600, Cleveland@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > How did you manage to get 3 default routes in there?  Delete the first
> > two routes for 0.0.0.0 so you've just got the one left
> > pointing outside, and you should be fine.
>
> I think I know why there are three. I've got 2 nics in there. Eth1 has
> one ip address, which is an internal number. Eth0 has two ip addresses,
> one for web pages, one for email. How do I go about deleting the first
> two routes? If I'm using Eth0, how do I make sure sendmail only uses the
> correct IP number so reverse DNS functions correctly?

sendmail doesn't actually use an "IP number" - it uses the interface
defined by your routing table.

You can delete the route with the route command.  Since the last two
were duplicated, it doesn't matter which one you delete, just kill that
one that's pointing inside.

man route

You can verify that it's working right be doing a traceroute to anything
outside your network.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx