Re: SSH write error

On December 30, 2003 07:55 am, Mete Kural wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are having this problem when a user tries to upload a file to the Red
> Hat 8.0 server via SSH (sftp). When the user tries to write the file it
> returns this error:
>
> Error 8 :/FILENAME (dst):undefined error (server msg: 'Failure')
>
> The error doesn't give you any description for some reason. When I try to
> upload the same file with root user there is no error and it works
> perfectly, but with other users it returns this error. I first suspected
> that it is a permissions problem, but then the same error is there even if
> I open up all permissions wide for the directory that the file is copied
> into (set permissions to 'drwxrwxrwx'). Do you have any suggestions on what
> could be causing this problem or how I could figure out what the cause is?
>
> Thanks,
> Mete

Hi Mete,
Is it a specific area that a specific user cannot write to, or a specific user
that cannot write anywhere or....

How are you authenticating, via password or key?
It is likely unrelated but you never know, and it may not be related to the
auth but just the permissions. I had a situation this week were I could not
use rsync via ssh (scp ?) with key authentication in a sh script. It turned
out I was writing to a dir that the user owned but it was set sgid. Until I
set it 755 (no sgid) it failed. This was on a Solaris box not using
single-user-group scheme.
The error in the servers /var/adm/secure (probably) was:
Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for directory  /d02/backups

I haven't looked into it too deep but until I set the permissions more
restrictive (only owner has write), the script would fail. With dir only
writable by owner the script runs fine.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce