Re: Looking for Gerry Doris--SMTP AUTH Questions

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:04:54 -0800
"Corey Head" <coreyh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I also get that same message in the messages log:
> Dec 29 14:00:34 fresca sendmail[27405]: unknown password verifier

As Rodolfo already mentioned this is actually an error coming from sasl.
It means that no mechanism is available to test the supplied password.
You can check the file:

/usr/lib/sasl2/Sendmail.conf

Which will show you what method is configured for use.   Likely it will be
set to "saslauthd".    If so, you'll have to make sure that saslauthd is
running:

service saslauthd start

By default saslauthd will use the shadow file method to verify
the password which should work fine.   To see that it is running and what
method is being used try:

ps -ef | grep sasl

Good luck,
Sean