RE: Looking for Gerry Doris--SMTP AUTH Questions

At 16:04 12/29/2003, you wrote:
I've tried manual authentication via a telnet to port 25 on my box, and here
is the result:

auth LOGIN
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
Dflasfjdlksadjf;lkk
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
;dalsfjds;kjadsE=
535 5.7.0 authentication failed

I also get that same message in the messages log:
Dec 29 14:00:34 fresca sendmail[27405]: unknown password verifier

What do you think?  Do you think this may be some other file that needs a
configuring somewhere or is perhaps something like pam or sasl broken?

You must have missed a message from me some time ago, scolding you for not making friends with Google. I spent some time in that big search engine in the sky, and came up with several references that indicate very strongly that "unknown password verifier" is a SASL problem. Try to ensure that your Sendmail is using only unencrypted AUTH, and try to make sure that SASL is using PAM for authentication (should be the default).

If all else fails, I suggest you try the Microsoft route: "rpm -e" anything related to sendmail and sasl, then reinstall it with the latest versions and follow instructions to the letter. Won't teach you what went wrong but will likely fix the problem.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com