Re: [Announce] Libmcrypt and mcrypt rpm's for Fedora 1 and Red Hat 9

Hi Michael,

> >  The mcrypt SPEC file calls (/usr/bin/)autoreconf in the %build section.
>
> You must be working with a completely different spec file then.  There is no
> call of autoreconf in either your spec file or the one included in the
> tarball. However, your spec file calls the above mentioned programs which is
> necessary to regenerate the configure script and makefiles.

 I think you are referring to the *libmcrypt* spec file. I was speaking of
the *mcrypt* spec file. It's below the libmcrypt section (use the link at
the top).

 By the way, it seems replacing autoreconf in that spec file with aclocal;
automake obsoletes the need for the gettext version patch. That is nice,
since that makes it possible to use the same spec file for RH9 and FC1.

> If you patch configure.in, running "autoconf" generates a new "configure"
> script. If you didn't run autoconf, your changes to configure.in would not
> be in the existing [old] configure script. Similarly, if you patch
> Makefile.am files, running "automake" creates new Makefile.in templates
> which in turn are used to create final Makefiles upon running "configure".

 Just reading up on this.

> It means that you cannot really avoid running them, since if you didn't run
> them, they would be called nevertheless [since the changes timestamps on
> several template files suggest that makefiles and configure script need to
> be updated].

 Sort of figured that out already...

Bye,
Leonard.