Re: How to recover root password

Hi David,

There are a few options here:

1) Boot with the redhat-9.0 cd 1. Type rescue at the boot prompt. It will seem
like an installation at first but it will actually allow you to edit the shadow
file or use chroot to step thru changing the password.

2) Boot regularly and at the grub prompt append to your kernel arguments:
init=/bin/bash

HTH,
Harry

Quoting "Nguyen, David M" <david.m.nguyen@xxxxxx>:

*> I forget root password.  How do I recover it?  I run redhat v9 and I
*> have the system configured to have dual-boot.  How do I get it to single
*> mode to recover root password?
*>
*> Thanks,
*> David
*>

--
Harry Hoffman
hhoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

# Harry: version 4.0a                                            #
# Known bugs:                                                    #
# 1) Verbal output may occur before data processing is complete. #
# 2) Loudspeaker option may activate without being invoked.      #
# 3) Other bugs as reported                                      #