Re: Setting static routes (was: Re: Disapear)

On Sunday 28 Dec 2003 7:09 pm, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 07:01 12/28/2003, you wrote:
> >I have added 3 new routes in my route (RH 9)
> >
> >route add -host xxx.xx.xxx.x1 dev eth1
> >route add -host xxx.xx.xxx.x2 dev eth1
> >route add -host xxx.xx.xxx.x3 dev eth1
> >
> >Everything works fine but when I restart the computer these routes
> > disapear.
> >
> >Whad do I do to make then persistent?
>
> What you want is to make those "static routes". They should be configured
> in the /etc/sysconfig/static-routes file, and they will then become
> persistent.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot tell you the format in which to write them. Search
> the Red Hat website or Google for more details.

The file format is simply the syntax used to pass to the route command, with
the prefix 'route add -' replaced by the device to which it's associated,
thus the lines above would be:

eth1 host xxx.xx.xxx.x1 dev eth1
eth1 host xxx.xx.xxx.x2 dev eth1
eth1 host xxx.xx.xxx.x3 dev eth1

This is then used by the startup scripts when bringing up the device in column
1 by greping out the line, and then passing it to the route command for you.

I believe that if you use the GUI tools, they will write this file for you

> Also, I suggest you use a subject line more descriptive than "Disapear",
> which really means nothing and will not help you find answers. Someone who
> knows the answer may not even /read/ your message, which could be about
> icons on the graphical desktop, configuration files modified by an
> automated tool, or a thousand other things. I've taken the liberty of
> changing the subject to "Setting static routes" which is more appropriate.

Here here!!!

Until the thread title changed, I didn't even read it.

Gary
--
Gary Stainburn