Re: tcpdump broken after rh9 2.4.20-27.9 kernel upgrade

I just ran a quick check, and I see the same symptoms when running
tcpdump from another box, so it is not box-specific.  As I said
before, it looks like promiscuous mode isn't working -- either that or
my hubs just transmogrified (Calvin & Hobbes word) into switches,
which I rather doubt.

All the NICs on the network are operating in forced 100baseT
half-duplex mode and are connected thru a hub rather than a switch, so
that the sniffers will see everything.  Only the WILD NICs run in
10baseT half duplex mode, for compatibility with the bridge that
connects me to the internet.  The relevant lines in the
/etc/modules.conf file on the NIDS box looks like this:

    alias eth0 8139too
    alias eth1 8139too
    alias eth2 8139too
    options 8139too 0x100,0x100,0x10

Strangely enough, even though I cannot see pings from box A to box B
when sniffing on box C, I still see arps.  This further causes me to
suspect that something is wrong with promiscuous mode.