Re: Need to configure two network cards on the same subnet.

On December 23, 2003 10:33 pm, Chris Tellor wrote:
> I am having problems configuring two network cards that are on the same
> subnet.  Here are my configuration files.
>
> [root@localhost sysconfig]# cat network
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
>
> [root@localhost network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0
> DEVICE=eth0
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=192.168.2.101
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
>
> [root@localhost network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth1
> DEVICE=eth1
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=192.168.2.102
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
>
> When I run route, both routes are created on the eth1 interface.
>
> [root@localhost network-scripts]# route
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface 192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0
> 0 eth1 192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0
>  0 eth1 127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0
>   0 lo default         192.168.2.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
>  0 eth0
>
> I would expect a route to be added for each network card to the 192.168.2.0
> network.
>
> The problem I have is when one network connection is down, both links stop
> working.  I expect the routing table has something to do with this problem.
>  Can anyone tell me if this routing table was created correctly, and if it
> was not, how to fix the problem?
>
> The reason we are trying to configure two network cards is so we can keep
> the network traffic from backups seperate from regular system use.  Is
> there a better way to solve this problem?

Hi Chris,
If all your trying to do with the second nic is keep the backup traffic off
the main network, if your physical infrastructure allows it, you should just
use a diffent network (say 192.168.3.0) for the backups, and run it over a
separate physical network (switch, cables etc). Otherwise your still sending
all the data over the network, well at least the switches backbone. You will
need a second nic in all servers the the backup server talks to.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce