RE: Looking for Gerry Doris--SMTP AUTH Questions

At 13:27 12/20/2003, you wrote:
Thanks much for the updated link...unfortunately it stops at RedHat 9 and I
had already followed those steps precisely.

Same instructions appear to work well for Fedora, by the way.

Sorry I just got to this discussion now, but I haven't been able to read mail for a couple of days. A couple of questions:

1. Do you have a /usr/lib/sasl/Sendmail.conf file? I didn't see it mentioned, but the contents should be only "pwcheck_method:pam".

Here is my output when I telnet to localhost 25:

250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN

There might be a problem here. This line says that your sendmail installation is offering encrypted AUTH mechanisms (DIGEST-MD5 and CRAM-MD5). I am learning how to set those up so I can expand the HOWTO, but my knowledge in that area is still a little sketchy.

However, I do know that most mail clients will prefer encrypted authentication if they can get it, so if those mechanisms are not set up properly then your AUTH would fail.

2. Have you specifically attempted to set up encrypted AUTH? If so, can you post your method somehow? I can run it on a test server to debug it.

3. Have you attempted to AUTH by hand? To do this you'll need to get a Base64 encoder off the Internet somewhere... I recall using Azalea's free product if my memory serves correctly.

Could this have something to do with pam or sasl instead of sendmail?

It could, although of course I can't be sure it does. Let's find out, though.