Re: Looking for Gerry Doris--SMTP AUTH Questions

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Corey Head wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I read the Gerry Doris article on
>
> www.linux-works.org/sxs/internet_serving/smailauth.html
>
> on Sendmail Authentication a while back when I was brand new to sendmail.  I
> learned a lot reading it and got sendmail authentication up and running in
> no time at all on my RedHat9 box running sendmail 8.12.8.
>
> However, I'm running into MAJOR trouble with the exact same configurations
> outlined in the article on RedHat Enterprise ES with sendmail 8.12.10.  Any
> changes you might know about that would make your setup not work?  On the
> 8.12.10 box, the clients get asked/re-asked for their usernames and
> passwords over and over.  Plus, the maillog gets:
>
> Dec 19 16:39:04 fresca sendmail[28036]: hBK0d4mS028036: [192.168.1.103] did
> not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA
>
> The article is dated 3/2002...so it's a bit old in comparison to the
> versions of sendmail released since then.
>
> THANKS MUCH in advance for any help you can offer!
> Corey

That's pretty old now but I don't see why you should be having problems if
you got it working under RH 9.  However, I don't know anything about the
Enterprise edition.

I suggest you check out the following link.  Rodolfo Piaz has been working
on an updated howto for sendmail auth.  It should likely do the trick for
you!

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.html

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer